Friday, March 23, 2007

The Liberation of Baghdad

When I was a kid at home, my parents had a couple of coffee-table art book at covered the Renaissance and adjoining periods. I sometimes spent hours just flipping through & looking at the pictures. I think what caught my attention was the composition, and the little details. I got that same feeling when I came across Sandow Birk's work. He takes these 15th-18th century masterpieces, and recasts them in modern yet powerful themes.

Speaking of little details, what's up with the two dogs going at it in the foreground? Anybody?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the two dogs might represent the way the war has turned out, while the bigger picture shows how it was "supposed" to happen.
Maybe they represent the shiia - sunni fighting?
like two dogs going at each other's throats....

I think that's what makes it such a cool painting.
Its such a great image, its well painted, and it means something. And its funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home