Friday, March 16, 2007

Movie Review -- 300


One Word Review: Drool

One Sentence Review: Beautifully executed juvenile male fantasy.

Buddy of mine at work & I have been planning to see this movie for a couple of months. I even took time off work so I could catch it the opening afternoon. Being guys, we never got our shit together, but I did catch it with my eighteen-year-old son that day. This isn't a date movie. I can't see many women voluntarily going to see this movie, unless she's trying to be one of the guys. Although the film does throw a couple of emotional scraps to the audience with regard to the lead female character, by way of motivation & justification for gutting a senator about three-quarters of the way through the movie.

Now, when I say "beautifully executed juvenile male fantasy", I mean that in the best possible way. Frank Miller is at the top of the graphic novel (otherwise known as "fat but expensive comic") market, and justifiably so. His hand and eye together form a perfect union of visual candy.

Like candy, however, if you eat too much you're going to get nauseous. I suppose this has partly to do with trying to faithfully execute the stunning compositions in living form. Well done. But as a story, kinda thin & clunky. Doesn't translate well from a comic to a movie. Acting ditto, kinda thin. Many lines seem to be yelled. So really, that's it. The whole movie yells at you the entire time. Plus, anybody want to guess how it ends?

I will be putting this one on my DVD shelf, for after those long days of work when I need a glass of scotch, a cigar, & a shot of testosterone to gird myself for the next day's battle. You have to be in the right frame of mind for this one.

Oh, that dancing girl? That was hot.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home