Monday, February 19, 2007

Restaurant Review -- Bear's Den

Two Word Review: Special Treat

One Sentence Review: The place in Calgary to take somebody you want to impress, if you're willing to drop the coin.

Cathie & I went there a couple of weeks ago, on a Friday night, as our Valentine's dinner. I went on a recommendation from one of my bosses, who is a bit of a gourmet. One of those guys that can not only tell you which wine goes with which food, but will start making recommendations about which vintage.

I had a salmon salad and steak (they are one of the only places in Alberta that serve AAAA beef). Cathie had the pumpkin soup and elk steak. We let the waiter choose an appropriate glass of wine for each of us, which he did handily.

I knew the food was going to be good, and expensive. Be prepared to lay out $100 per person, plus booze. The service was impeccable as it better darn-well be at that price. The architecture was also gorgeous, which I didn't expect. Tall, elegant ceilings with relief sculptures of wolves, bison, and mountains. All very well done. I felt like a bit of hick as I asked to wander around the second dining room to take it all in, but we did anyway.

By the way, if you like martinis at all, their feta stuffed olives are a real treat. I'm off to stuff my own olives now, have a good Alberta Family Day long weekend!

Web Site: http://www.bears-den.ca/

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home