Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Story Telling Makes Us Human?

I have a theory, which is mine. I'm sure that Richard Dawkins would scoff, but he can be a bit of a party-pooper sometimes it seems to me. Never met the man, just that he gets his back up whenever people start trying to rationalize spirituality.

Anyway, that's not my point. My point is that I believe we humans need certain intangible things. Things like singing, dancing, story-telling, and the company of others. I imagine it meets some sort of deep-seated survival mechanism to pass down cultural & technical knowledge, select for memory, and just plain get naturally "blissed-out" (i.e., self medicate), something that our over-sized brains kicked into overdrive when we started using language. Kind of a "Red Queen" thing, who had to run faster & faster to stay in the same place. Our brains got bigger & bigger in order to compete sexually. Or maybe singing & dancing was the trigger we needed for language use in the first place?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home