Sunday, January 22, 2006

Honey Run!

Back in December I wrote about discoverying some fellow zymergists here in Calgary, and that we were going to make a run out to a local apiary for some bulk honey. Yesterday, with my daughter and several other hangers-on in tow, we cruised out to Chinook Honey, south and west of Okotoks. Nice lay-out, fantastic view of the mountains. I picked up 15kg for myself, and felt intimidated by the guys that were buying 60kg at a go.

We ended up at a 'mazing' party later that night, and I got to taste some amazing meads, including a blackberry and a licorice flavoured one. I also got to share my own sparkling meads, and was very pleased at the compliments I received. The buckwheat mead was especially enjoyed. I am now eager to try some of the other permutations and combinations avaiable to mead brewers. Methinks I'll start with a coffee mead.

I've linked to the original recipe here, for anybody that wants to try it out. Just substitute buckwheat honey. If you want it to sparkle, add 500g of dextrose to 23 litres of your product before bottling after it has *completely* finished fermenting - and make sure you use proper bottles. Failure to do either of these two things (waiting for fermentation to finish or using unsuitable bottles) and you WILL end up with glass grenades going off in your cold-room. Dangerous, messy, and loud. Take it from me.

1 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm... honey! you don't need anymore honey - you are a honey! xoxo tori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home