Monday, September 11, 2006

What Management Does Wrong

By now some of you may have guessed that I work for a largish corporation. This article by Pam Slim caught my eye. She used to be a "consultant to management ", and now her mission in life is to free corporation's employees and help them start their own business. Cool.

I knew I would like her when I read this line:

"Don't spend millions of dollars to try and change your culture. Corporate culture is a natural thing that cannot be manufactured. No amount of posters, incentive programs, PowerPoint presentations or slogans on websites will affect the hearts and minds of your employees. If you want to see things change immediately, stop acting like an asshole. If you see one of your senior managers acting like an asshole, ask him to stop. If he doesn't stop, fire him. You will be amazed at how fast the culture shifts."

1 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Karl Plesz said...

You're right. That's a great article. I have so wanted to go into business for myself and that kind of material just makes me want it more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home