Monday, May 22, 2006

Craft Week - Silkscreening

So this week's theme is going to be crafting, just 'cause I've come across a few interesting craft sites lately. First one that caught my interest: silkscreening.

Maybe it's the retro under-current that's happening in the cool culture.

Maybe it's that we seem to be printing up t-shirts for Scouts and other events all the time, and it would be cool to be able to produce something bigger that 8 1/2 by 11.

Maybe it's the expense of those iron-on sheets for t-shirts you can run through your ink-jet printer. I've never had much luck with those anyway - they fade, discolour, are limited in size, & peel off.

This process doesn't look trivial, but the results seem to be pretty cool.

3 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done this process, you can get cool effects, ask me about it. The initial set up costs are not cheap: darkroom setup, screens, squeegees etc.

K

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Bernie May said...

So which shirt should I print first:

1./ "I taught your girlfriend that thing you like"

2./ "You've been a bad girl, go to my room", or

3./ "He's your God, YOU go to hell"

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cubs have used the stencil method for about 8 years now... I like it better than the iron ons as well...
think - "Mischief makers", "mostly harmless", wolves and moon, wolves and castle, and this year's grain elevator.... paint, fabric medium, sponges, and stencil blanks. Scouts could even cut their own stencils... a hot tool with the right tip is a bit safer than an exacto knife.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home