Monday, March 13, 2006

Fire by Friction, Responsibility is Messy, Belt & Suspenders

I know that I've covered this website before, but there were three articles that I just couldn't pass up. If you're a Scout leader, you have to check it out on a regular basis.

The first article is about starting a fire using friction. I've done this once, and the thrill of being able to start a fire without matches or lighter is something that I think everybody should experience. The pdf describing the techniques used to start a fire in 7.5 seconds are advanced tips, so I've included a link to some basic techniques well.

The second article talks about how giving Scouts real responsibility is a messy but necessary proposition. Every Scout leader earns the Chief Scout Award for their Scouts (you know who you are) needs to read this. Think of it this way: when you're blowing the coals in your fire bundle (after working hard to get some sparks off your bow-drill) you can blow too hard, and put the fire out. You can not blow enough, and fail to have the flame catch. You need to blow just enough, and your fire bundle/Scout will burst into flame.

Well, hopefully not literally, if it's Scouts we're talking about.

The third article is an amusing observation that I happen to agree with - the competency of the Scouter is inversely proportional to the amount of crap they have hanging off their belt. Personally, I keep most of my crap in a backpack. Including a lighter. [grin]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home